Connect Ohio Awards 12 Laptops to Every Citizen Online Computer Giveaway Winners
Throughout the month ofJuly, Connect Ohio staff was busy coordinating computer distribution eventsthroughout the state following the Every Citizen Online (ECO) computergiveaway. The giveaway entry period was between April 5 and June 20, 2011. ECOparticipants who completed an online survey following the free basic computerand Internet training were entered into a random drawing for one of 12 newlaptop computers.
A media-friendly event wascoordinated for each of the 12 winners at the location the ECO training wascompleted and included Connect Ohio staff, ECO location staff, and ECOcoordinators and instructors. The winners had great stories to share regardingtheir experience with the free computer training and how the new knowledge andcomfort with computers is already helping them.
“I loved the (ECO) trainingand the instructor was one in a million,” said Cathy McComis, winner and ECOparticipant at Chillicothe and Ross County Public Library. “I don’t have acomputer, so now I can go get Internet at home. I’m so excited!”
“It will be so nice to havea portable computer,” said Roseanna Wenig, winner and ECO participant at theMarion Public Library.
“I was just ready to buy a new desktop computerbecause mine is old,” said Louise Beldon, winner and ECO participant atNorthwest State Community College. “I like to use the Internet to read e-mail,play computer games, and look up recipes. I want to learn Facebook and otherwebsites.”
“I loved the training,” saidSharon Kiener, winner and ECO participant at OSU South Central Region ExtensionOffice. “I needed the basics of the Internet and I’m looking forward tolearning new things, like selling antiques on eBay and editing photos. I didn’thave a computer at a home (before winning the laptop). I would love to get theInternet now.”
“It’s not every day thingslike winning a new laptop happen to me,” said Brandy Archer, winner and ECOparticipant at Community Action Council of Portage County. “Being without a jobsince August of 2010, I was given the opportunity to take classes at CTLC formy MOS certifications, as well as the Every Citizen Online (ECO) classes. I am hopefulwinning the laptop will get me one step closer to achieving my return to theworkforce.”
Congratulations to the computer winners!
A full list of computer winners and the locationin which training was completed are listed below:
- Archer, Brandy –Community Action Council of Portage County
- Beldon, Louise –Northwest State Community College
- Buchanan, Doris– Kate Love Simpson-Morgan County Library
- Griebling,Sharon – Pioneer Career and Technology Center, Bucyrus location
- Hawkins, Elaine– Shaker Heights Public Library
- Kiener, Sharon –Ohio State University South Central Extension, Learning Center East
- McComis, Cathy –Chillicothe and Ross County Public Library
- O’Connor,Patricia – University of Dayton
- O’Brien, Becky –Kate Love Simpson-Morgan County Library
- Summit, Jerry –Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Wenig, Roseanna– Marion Public Library
- Young, Thelma – Forest-Jackson Public Library